If you are like me, you love your little kitty, but you tire of cleaning up after her every time she decides to take a trip to the litter box. Fortunately in 2020, there is technology available to make that chore less of a chore.
Enter the self-cleaning litter box!
These robotic litter boxes eliminate the need to scoop away your precious cat’s droppings. The best self-cleaning litter boxes are easy to clean and save you a lot of money and time.
You can even be away from home for roughly a week without worrying about the litter box! A good self-cleaning litter box can go on cleaning up after your kitty for days before it needs to be emptied and refilled.
In this guide, we take a look at some of the best self-cleaning litter boxes on the market and help you determine which is the best option for your situation and your pet.
- 1 Our Reviews for The Best Self Cleaning Litter Boxes
- 2 #1. PetSafe ScoopFree Self Cleaning Litter Box
- 3 #2. CatGenie Self Washing Self Flushing Cat Box
- 4 #3. PetSafe ScoopFree Ultra Self-Cleaning Cat Litter Box
- 5 #4. Omega Paw Self-Cleaning Litter Box, Large
- 6 #5. PetSafe Simply Clean Self-Cleaning Cat Litter Box
- 7 Verdict
- 8 How Does a Self-Cleaning Litter Box Work?
- 9 How Well Do Self-Cleaning Litter Boxes Work?
Our Reviews for The Best Self Cleaning Litter Boxes
#1. PetSafe ScoopFree Self Cleaning Litter Box
The ScoopFree Self-Cleaning Litter Box is a pioneering robot litter box that doesn’t get soiled easily.
To clean up, all you need to do is put the lid on the disposable tray and discard it. The ScoopFree litter box provides you and your cat with a constantly neat and tidy litter box you’ll appreciate.
What It Contains
- ScoopFree self-cleaning litter box
- One bag of uniquely scented crystal litter
- One disposable litter tray with the cover
- It automatically cleans waste for weeks without requiring scooping, clearing out, or refilling.
- It comes with crystal litter which soaks up urine and immediately dries up waste to eliminate odors.
- It features a covered trap that shuts off the odor of solid waste helping you to enjoy your pet without handling or smelling waste.
- It makes use of an entirely disposable leak-proof tray with cover for fast and germ-free tidying up.
- It can take some cats a while to get used to the stirring rake.
- The tray doesn’t last as long as promoted.
- The box is a bit narrow and not suitable for cats that are rather large or a multi cat household.
- The alternate trays are comparatively costly.
- The high-tech crystal litter don’t seem like a great environmentally friendly option.
#2. CatGenie Self Washing Self Flushing Cat Box
CatGenie Self Cleaning Litter Box is an automated cat box that flushes waste down the sewer and cleans itself. It makes use of litter-like washable granules instead of clay to fulfill the cats need to excavate and swathe. It is suitable for multiple cats of average size or cats that are six months old and more. However, it needs to be connected to cold water and an electrical outlet to function as designed.
What It Contains
It comes with eco-friendly SaniSolution cartridge, one box of washable litter granules, one CatGenie self-cleaning litter box with the dimensions: 19.25in in front, 16in base on the flipside, 17.5in apex flipside, 21in high, 24.5in depth that makes it possible for hoses to be used.
It also comes with an 8 ft water supply hose and 10 ft drain hose. It also features a user manual and T-Adapter to make setup easy.
- On the surface it is a cat litter box, but it is more advanced and functions more like a home appliance and flushes cat waste similar to how a toilet is used.
- It provides excellent odor control.
- It comes with easy to wash reusable and dust free litter granules.
- Cat waste in the center of the box will not be collected by the machine handle.
- The drain structure and the drain hose are very small and can only manage kitten waste.
- Although they are biodegradable, the litter granules are very tiny and can be trapped everywhere by you and by your cat.
- It is difficult to clean.
- Cat waste leaks out through the handle.
- The macerating device can get clogged.
- The holes in the bottom of the basin are way too small and are only capable of removing urine.
- It can get a nasty odor because the granules dry easily.
- CatGenie self-cleaning litter box makes use of cold water which makes cleaning difficult. The cost of the solution and the granules make it expensive. The cleaning cycle takes time and consumes a lot of water and power.
#3. PetSafe ScoopFree Ultra Self-Cleaning Cat Litter Box
PetSafe ScoopFree Ultra Self-Cleaning Cat Litter Box automates cleaning for weeks and eliminates the need to scoop, clean or refill the litter box. The crystal absorbs urine and eliminates odor.
The machine rakes waste into a blocked waste section to make it easy to eliminate odor. It functions well with the ScoopFree Anti-Tracking Litter Mat.
What It Contains
It’s a self-cleaning litter box with disposable litter trays to provide hand-off cleaning and waste elimination. This features a privacy hood that offers privacy benefits to your cat.
It comes with a modifiable rake delay that permits you to program when you want the machine to sweep the waste after being used by your cat. It has a health counter that monitors your cat’s health by tracking the number of times the cat uses the litter.
- The disposable litter tray is pre-filled with crystal litter that you don’t need to scoop.
- The disposable tray comes with a plastic lining to prevent leakage.
- It is structured to prevent seeing, handling or smelling cat waste.
- The set-up is easy.
- The litter arrives pre-organized; you just take a bag and level out the litter.
- It takes time for cats to get used to the granular litter.
- The disposable tray is a bit costly to replace, a more permanent tray like Forever tray could save a lot of money in the long run.
- It smells after few days because some waste get trapped in the 0.5-inch gaps on the opposite sides of the box.
- It is not easy to clean and works best with non-clumping litter.
#4. Omega Paw Self-Cleaning Litter Box, Large
This automatic litter box comes with an innovative patented grill that removes the clumped waste and transfers it into the pullout tray. The big litter box is suitable for big cats and multiple cats.
This litter box is the complete package: suitable for a wide range of cats, easy to use, and provides the best odor protection of any of the others reviewed which is why it is our pick for best self cleaning litter box of the year.
What It Contains
This item includes the automatic litter box and innovative, patented grill.
- The litter box is covered to provide privacy to your feline companion and minimize the amount of litter waste.
- It works great when used with clumping cat litter.
- It is a very stylishly structured and unique litter box.
- This litter box minimizes strong odors and eliminates the possibility of the plastic bags breaking and leaking.
- It is an automated self-cleaning machine which improves hygiene. I
- It is easy to empty the little collector bin.
- The plastic clips are not strong enough; a metal butterfly clip does a better job.
- The litter leaks out occasionally.
#5. PetSafe Simply Clean Self-Cleaning Cat Litter Box
This is a stylishly made self-cleaning litter box that is both cost-effective and environmentally friendly. You don’t need to buy any extra accessories to maintain the system. It works well with simply recycled grocery bags for waste collection. It is only suitable for cats weighing roughly 15 pounds.
What It Contains
It only includes the litter box itself.
- The self cleaning litter box is cost-effective and makes things easy for you and your cat.
- You don’t have to scoop cat mess.
- It eliminates odor and automates cleaning to free up your time for other activities.
- The litter box comes nicely packed and prepared for immediate use.
- You don’t have to schedule scooping time according to your schedule.
- It is noiseless and does not come with a moving part that traps paws or tails of your furry friend.
- It easy to clean; you can just cover the waste bin with a recycled bag.
- The set-up is as well easy.
- The cover can sometimes get removed.
- The machine makes squeaking noise occasionally.
- Loose litter can fall underneath when the cat burrows and the machine rotates.
- Infrequently a very hard and dry clump of cat poop sticks between the transmitting unit and the frame.
- The box is narrow making it a bit uncomfortable for large cats.
- The machine can trap litter dust and sometimes cat waste.
All five self-cleaning litter boxes we have reviewed on this list are great choices if you want more convenience for yourself and your cat by eliminating odor and removing the hassle of scooping waste every day.
However, we have chosen the Omega Paw Self-Cleaning Litter Box as the overall best self-cleaning litter box due to the fact that it is easy to use, cost-effective and comes with less bad features.
How Does a Self-Cleaning Litter Box Work?
Self-cleaning litter boxes work by using a sensor to detect when a pet has used the litter box. Once the machine recognizes that there is a smelly clump of cat waste in the box, it uses a mechanical rake to filter out the clumps and drop them into a receptacle that can be discarded at another time.
Because this is a high tech solution to the problem of removing cat waste, it does require a power source to operate. In some cases it uses a battery, while others must be plugged into an outlet to function. This can sometimes be problematic as outlets are not always easily accessible in bathrooms where many people choose to keep their litter boxes.
How Well Do Self-Cleaning Litter Boxes Work?
In short, they work quite well. There will always be some issues as no litter box is perfect when it comes to leaks and litter making its way outside of the box, but if you are looking for a solution to scoop waste less frequently, a self-cleaning litter box will do the job.
That being said, some do a better job of keeping the surrounding tidier than others. The CatGenie self-flushing cat box, for example, eliminates the needs to manually dispose of waste entirely by directly flushing the waste.
With one of these automatic litter boxes, you won’t have to worry about cleaning out the box for days, which is quite a relief for busy cat parents.