Cats rely on their claws for so much in their day to day lives, which is why I would never get my cats declawed, but there is no denying that it can be a major nuisance when your kitty’s claws get a bit too long. When your furniture, floor and random body parts begin to look like a rabid wolverine tore through your place, you know its time to clip those claws!
But as any cat parent knows, trimming a cat’s nails is easier said than done. Most cats are very resistant to getting their nails trimmed, and that is putting it mildly. That’s why getting a pair of clippers that gets the job done quickly and efficiently is of utmost importance.
- 1 What Not to Do When Clipping The Nails Of Your Cat
- 2 How To Cut Your Cat’s Nails
- 3 How To Choose The Best Nail Clippers For Your Kitty
- 4 Our Reviews for Top Cat Nail Clippers
- 5 #1. Safari Professional Stainless-steel Trimmer
- 6 #2. Resco Original Deluxe Nail Clipper
- 7 #3. Boshel Cat Nail Clipper
- 8 #4. Boshel Dog Nail Clippers
What Not to Do When Clipping The Nails Of Your Cat
Whatever you do, DON’T CUT THE QUICK! The quick is the slightly pink part of the nail, the place where all the nerves and blood vessels are situated. Just as it is uncomfortable for you to cut your nails too much, it is even more painful for your cat.
The only part that you can safely clip is the white part of your cat’s nail. Try to clip in steps so that you don’t cut too close to the quick.
Grooming your cat’s nails needs concentration and focus. If done haphazardly, it can be painful and be very uncomfortable for your fur baby. Make sure to groom your cat’s nails when you aren’t too much in a rush.
How To Cut Your Cat’s Nails
Clipping your cat’s nails can be tricky especially if your cat is not used to it. Your cat may be a bit anxious about it. Going about it in a calm and collected way will help your cat stay calm during the process.
- The way you hold your cat during nail grooming is important for both you and the cat. Holding your cat by their scruff is in the best way to hold your cat during the nail trimming process. The scruff is a portion of fur on the cat’s neck which the mother cat herself uses to hold and carry her kittens. Your grip should not be too firm, just relaxed.
- Let your cat sit on your lap. Take your kitty’s paw and gently and calmly extend its claws. If it retreats its paw don’t hold it in place by force, this will only create more anxiety.
- If you are having difficulties cutting your kitty’s nails, move one paw at a time. You do not want your kitty to be resentful as they may soon become agitated and hostile.
- Give your cat one of its favorite treats to help them keep calm and reward them for good behavior.
- If your cat’s nails splinter or break you can smooth it away with a file.
How To Choose The Best Nail Clippers For Your Kitty
If your cat has nails that are short and thick, you will require a different type of clipper than if your cat has thin, long nails. So the determining factor in choosing your cat’s clippers will be determined by your cat’s unique needs. The bottom line is that you want clippers that will give your cats nails an even and clean cut, not something that will break and splinter them.
Our Reviews for Top Cat Nail Clippers
#1. Safari Professional Stainless-steel Trimmer
The Safari Professional Stainless-steel Trimmer is the crème de la crème of cat nail clippers. They can even be used for your dog when you are done clipping your cat’s nails!
- Arched stainless-steel edges for easy visibility, upkeep, and durability.
- Rubber coated handles that are ergonomically designed for safe use and grip.
- Robust for simple and detailed cutting.
- Secure locking blades to avoid cutting to the quick.
- Inexpensive and great value for your money.
- Ideal for only medium and small sized cats.
- Very sharp blades. Should be handled with care and kept out of the reach of children.
- Unlike some of the other nail clippers on the market, the Safari Professional trimmers have no product guarantee or money back warranty.
#2. Resco Original Deluxe Nail Clipper
Resco Original Deluxe has been a faithful companion to American cat lovers since the 1930s. It’s fantastic for clipping short or medium-sized nails. The ergonomic design helps you have a firm grip, and the sharp blades cut off the nails of your cat without splintering.
- If the blades grow dull and do not cut as well, you can opt to replace the blades instead of buying another one.
- Parts are made of steel and therefore don’t rust.
- Lifetime warranty that has conditions.
- They are designed in 3 sizes: large, regular and small.
#3. Boshel Cat Nail Clipper
The Boshel is a professional nail clipper that is highly recommended by vets, professional groomers as well as animal trainers. You are probably tired of visiting a professional groomer all the time. The Boshel nail clipper will cut your cat’s nails at home just as if it was done by a professional
- This clipper has ergonomic handles that make it a pleasant and comfortable. The Boshel won’t slip from your hands during use minimizing the chances of nicks or cuts.
- These grooming clippers use a safety stop blade that significantly diminishes the danger of clipping nails too short and hurting your cat by cutting into the quick
- Includes a small nail file incorporated to file the nails after clipping your cat’s nails. It is located securely in the left-hand handle of the clipper
#4. Boshel Dog Nail Clippers
The Boshel Dog Nail Clippers will not disappoint you. As a cat owner, you understand the importance of keeping your cat’s nails trimmed. Even though its for dogs, its great for large cats too. It will cut long curved nails that dig into you cats sensitive toe pads which can be extremely uncomfortable. It will also prevent ingrown nails.
Most cat nail clippers have no quick guard, a feature that can help you not over-cut the nails of your cat.
- They will save you a significant amount of time and money usually spend every time you visit a professional pet groomer to clip your cat’s nails. These nail clippers are built to last a long time saving you thousands of dollars in grooming fees by doing a professional nail cutting right at home.
- These nail clippers have a safety lock located on the handle. This feature guarantees you safety for your kitty as well as your little ones. Just slide up the lock knob and the scissors will be locked in place.
- There is a 60 days money back guarantee.
- They can be used for both dogs and cats.
- Only suitable for large cats.
- Rather bulky.