Airline travel can be stressful, even more when you have your cat with you. (Not to mention how stressful it is for an already anxious cat.) Nothing is more stressful than when you show up at the airport and find out that your cat’s carrier is not approved for the flight. This is why its essential to get an airline-approved pet carrier if you plan on bringing your feline companion with you on your next flight.
Whether you are relocating or taking your cat for a getaway, they will need a safe, airline-approved carrier to travel in. You will want to look for a sturdy carrier that is comfortable for your cat, and with so many to choose from, the most difficult part will be deciding on one. Below is a list of the best cat carriers for airplanes for you to consider.
- 1 Our Top 6 Cat Carriers For Plane Travel
- 2 1. DadyPet Pet Carrier
- 3 2. Siivton Pet Carrier
- 4 3. Mr. Peanut’s Double Expandable Airline Approved Soft Sided Pet Carrier
- 5 4. Kundu KDU-013 Deluxe Backpack
- 6 5. Texsens Innovative Traveler Bubble Backpack
- 7 6. Amazon Basics Soft-Sided Mesh Pet Travel Carrier
- 8 Frequently Asked Questions
Our Top 6 Cat Carriers For Plane Travel
The DadyPet Pet Carrier is an expandable pet carrier that can expand to give your cat more space, reducing anxiety. The DadyPet carrier has an opening at the end and the top to easily lower your pet in or get them out.
It is made of waterproof materials and has great ventilation for your cat’s ease of breathing and promotes airflow.
The DadyPet is lightweight and easy to carry and can be worn on your shoulder, put on top of your luggage, or carried like a handbag. It is foldable for easy storage when you are at home, or under the airplane seat.
The DadyPet’s unique features and comfortable design is what make it our top pick for the best cat carrier for a plane.
- Expandable by 65%, nearly doubling the size
- It has a door on the front as well as the top
- Made of a breathable mesh material
- Lays flat for easy storage when not in use
- Storage pockets for treats, toys, bowls, etc.
- It has a padded floor for your cat’s comfort
- On rare occasion, the dow rods have broken through seams
- Few say zippers are poor quality
Our second choice for the best cat carrier for flying is the Siivton pet carrier which is lightweight and soft for your cat’s comfort. All four sides of this carrier can expand to make more room for your feline to wander around. It is sturdy and safe for your pet, and airline approved. Remove and tuck your cat away with convenient zippers on the end and top of this carrier.
The inside of this bed is sheer luxury. The inside fabric is cozy fleece and is removable and machine washable. It is easy to carry over your shoulder, on top of the luggage, or carry it in your hand.
- Expandable by unzipping all four side to create more room and less stress for your cat
- Doors with zippers on side and top for easy access to your pet
- Made from breathable material with mesh for ventilation and a view for your cat
- The sturdy bottom that makes your feline feel secure
- Waterproof fabric on the outside to protect against unfavorable conditions
- Machine-washable and removable fleece pet bed
- Zippers have been known to break
- Few customers would like more stability in seams
The third carrier on our list for the best cat carrier for flying is Mr. Peanut’s double expandable airline-approved soft-sided pet carrier offers a luxurious way for any feline to travel. With a unique design, your pet will be able to lay down and stay cool with a ventilated roof.
This carrier offers a comfortable way for your cat to travel, with fleece padding on the interior, providing a soft bed. There is a padded shoulder strap for comfort, and ample storage compartments for your pet’s toys, food, dishes, etc.
The carrier offers privacy when things get too much with canvas material, then the sides open up to allow for more room once they are comfortable and ready to relax. Convenient zippers are on the front and top of the carrier.
- Sides that fold out for more space
- Mesh sides offer breathability
- Comfortable, padded shoulder strap
- It can be flattened if it needs to be stored
- Comfortable padding inside that is easily removed and cleaned
- Ample storage compartments
- Lockable zipper so your cat cannot escape
- Zippers have been known to catch
- Doesn’t fit easily under an airplane seat – too rigid
The Kundu KDU-013 deluxe backpack is for pets up to 10 lbs and is versatile, comfortable, and safe for your cat. The smooth spinning for easy maneuvering through airports and airplane isles is only one of the things that makes it a contender for the best cat carrier for air travel.
There is a strap handle, telescoping handle, and straps that allow you to wear this carrier as a backpack, so you have your hands free for your other luggage. The large pockets are ideal for keeping your cat’s toys, food, and other necessities.
This carrier is made of durable material with mesh panels that provide breathability and visibility for your pet.
- Easy maneuverability through airports and small walkways
- 3 various ways to carry it, including a convenient backpack
- Plenty of storage
- Made of heavy-duty fabric with breathable mesh areas
- High-quality double wheels made from polyurethane add stability
- Some customers say it needs to be wider for more balance
- Best for smaller animals
The Texsens innovative traveler bubble backpack is ideal for when you’re traveling with your pet. It is perfect for any feline up to 13 lbs and is unlike any other backpack with its bubble window design, specifically for your cat’s viewing pleasure.
The carrier has mesh panels for easy breathing, as well as ventilation holes. The Texsens innovative pet carrier has a top and side entry point, is comfortable and safe, and even comes with a built-in leash.
This carrier has a comfortable, removable mat for your cat’s peaceful rest, and is made of durable material so that it won’t collapse or close in on your pet. Adjustable straps and a carrying handle offer multiple ways to carry and buckle in.
The best thing about his pet carrier is that you will be able to take your cat for adventures, even when you are home, by strapping it on and taking your pet for a walk. This versatile backpack allows you to comfortably carry your cat while they stay enthralled with watching the world around them.
- The backpack feature reduces weight on the shoulders
- Durable material that won’t collapse
- Comfortable inside that is removable and washable
- Dome window that your cat can see through clearly
- Keeps pets secure
- On the heavier side at 4 lbs
- Some customers say it needs more shoulder padding
If you need a carrier to get your cat from point A to B, then the Amazon Basics pet carrier is for you. The Amazon basics is a reliable carrier approved by most airlines and will keep your beloved cat safe during the journey.
There is a handle for carrying, or you can use the adjustable shoulder strap. The inner pad is a cozy fleece material and is easily removable for cleaning purposes. There are openings at either end and mesh side for breathability.
- Adjustable shoulder strap and carrying handle
- Folds down so it can stow away under your seat
- Breathable mesh sides
- Openings at either end
- Removable and washable fleece pad
- No extras; just basic
- Does not expand
Frequently Asked Questions
Are all cat carriers approved by airlines?
No. Not all cat carriers are approved by all airlines. The ones on this list are approved by the majority of airlines, but it’s important that you do your own research before taking your pet on a flight.
Can my cat sit on my lap if they are well behaved or on a leash?
No. Unless your pet is a service pet (usually a dog), they are not permitted to sit on your lap during a flight.
Do I need to let the airline know that I am travelling with my pet?
Yes. It is a good idea to let the airline that you are travelling on know that you are flying with your pet in case they have a limited number of pets allowed in the cabin per flight.